Userpic

JonasGermany
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hello,
i am planning a cycling trip in Norway in end of August/September and want to take the train from and back to Freiburg Germany to get there. Can somebody recommend a site, that has collected information about this topic or help me?
I was thinking of taking the night train from Freiburg north and then going to Trondheim or Oslo.
I would need to transport two gravel bikes, that are non foldable but can be disassembled.
All Help is greatly appreciated

Jonas

Follow this topic
Userpic

Baldie
Traveller
16 comments

replied 2 weeks ago

I googled "Bikes on Norway trains" and this was at the head of the page plenty more information on the rest of the page including FAQ's It also has a link to SJ Nord's website should you need that operator as well.

Bikes on trains
Remember to reserve a space for your bike on vy.no or in the app if you are travelling on the Bergen Line, the Gjøvik Line or Oslo–Halden–Gothenburg. If you are travelling with other trains, take your bike to a carriage with a bike sign, and purchase a bike ticket on the train.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1346 comments

replied 2 weeks ago

Alles auf DE und meist sogar von Bahn-arbeiter oder sehr erfahrenene;
Drehscheibe-online.de // ausland. Ein weniog warten aber die wissen im ende alles

Userpic

MisterSteve
Traveller
928 comments

replied 2 weeks ago

The first problem is the first train, I assume the night train from Freiburg to the North means the Zurich-Hamburg Nightjet. Their website says this only has THREE bike spaces per night so reserving two, in both directions, on the chosen dates, is far from certain.

There may also be a problems with the tyres. What do you mean by gravel bike? On many trains where bikes are allowed they must go in the racks designed for traditional wheels - if they have fat, heavy duty tyres and won't fit they may be refused.